router forwarding

Help with configurate TYPSoft FTP Server with a router/proxy/firewall

Moderators: MonsterBill, Seth6, Marc Bergeron

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mattmiller
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

router forwarding

Postby mattmiller » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:29 am

hey guys, i cant get my stupid ftp to work, so any help would be good, and which ports should i forward????

MonsterBill
Super User

Postby MonsterBill » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:28 pm

Take a look at the FAQ. I would be very surprised if there is nothong about your problem in there.

BTW, don't try to search the other topics, you could find your answer there.

Oh, and, ehh, I forgot... Hi ! :wink:

Marc Bergeron
Site Admin

Postby Marc Bergeron » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:32 pm

heheheh

Like MonterBill say, just check in the forum. I'm sure you will find something

You just need to forward default port and a range of port for PASV mode.
(Give a 5000 difference between the start and the end)
Marc
TYPSoft

egy

Re: router forwarding

Postby egy » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:13 pm

Well i have ftp server running at forwarded port, problem is some people can connect and download flawlessly but some can only connect, when they try to browse dirs or download something they get listing errors, timeouts, etc and cant download at all.

How can i sort this out?

MonsterBill
Super User

Postby MonsterBill » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 am

Hi !

This seems to be an active/passive mode issue. Did you set your TFS for passive mode ? Did you forward the passive ports range the same maner as the default port ? Do your users use a genuine FTP client ?

Enjoy.
Utilisez
Consultez et .
L'informatique, ? Et ?
Le FTP est défini par .

egy

Postby egy » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:02 pm

Well, see this is what i dont understand, i didnt set passive mode/forward ports range, no. Im not sure if network admin will be willing to do that, i have two forwarded ports now. How come some people dont have problem with connecting and downloading and some do? I understand now its also depending on client's side connection, before i thought it all depends on configuration of ftp server.

Thank you

MonsterBill
Super User

Postby MonsterBill » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:15 am

Well, indeed, if you're not the network admin, it'll be difficult for you to set everything for TFS to work in passive mode.

And, indeed too, the fact that a connexion works, depends on both the server-side and client-side configurations. And when it comes to FTP, this is particularly true. The reason is, depending on the networks' configurations, you may need to use either active or passive mode. See for details about the FTP modes. As you can infer from that, some users may not be able to connect to your active server because their network won't allow, or won't forward correctly, requests arriving on the "Data channel port" (which is randomly chosen).

However, some genuine FTP client (such as and not such as I.E. :evil: ), allow the user to set the ports that can be used for the data channel. If the user can also set the network to allow and forward the requests on that ports, they will be able to connect to your active server. Some other software/hardware properties (such as uPnP routers) may allow that connexion too, but they are a bit more unclear to me. ;-)

Enjoy.
Utilisez

Consultez et .

L'informatique, ? Et ?

Le FTP est défini par .

Return to “TYPSoft FTP Server and Router/Proxy/Firewall”