Connection with the server has been Reset...

Request, Bug Report, Help and Question about TYPSoft FTP Server

Moderators: MonsterBill, Seth6, Marc Bergeron

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DJ-Arthur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Connection with the server has been Reset...

Postby DJ-Arthur » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:05 am

Hello,

I'm running on a Windows XP Home machine, with direct connection to the internet via DSL, and this message is received when someone tries to log in. I've tried different ports, but then I get a Time-Out error... So I'm on port 21. My firewall is already configured, and it worked a month ago or so, but now it's just this error. I also cannot see the client connecting in the log or history...

Any ideas?

Greetzzz, DJ- Arthur

EDIT: Oh yeah... My friend is running a like-wise PC with the same settings, same ISP, and same firewall, and it's working super with him... Strange...

MonsterBill
Super User

Postby MonsterBill » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:41 pm

Hi !

Is your user using a real FTP client to connect to your server ? When is this message received ? At connexion ? After log in ?

The other-than-21 port problem may be becaus your user don't specify the right port in its client.

Is the log empty at all or do you see some connexion attempts ? Did you tried with the "show all commands in log" option ?
Utilisez
Consultez et .
L'informatique, ? Et ?
Le FTP est défini par .

DJ-Arthur

Postby DJ-Arthur » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:24 pm

Hey,

Yeah, my users use actual clients as well as the built in Windows FTP client. As soon as my clients connect, it tries loading the content of their respective Homedir (which I'm sure exists) and after a while the error message appears. I've tried showing all commands in the options window, but the log stays completely empty... So the message appears when trying to connect, I guess...

I also happen to have multiple connections on the server PC, like 2 ethernet cards and a wireless connection, but since I haven't seen an interface for that, I assumed TypSoft FTP Server listens on all available network devices. I've also tried to access the Server via my home network, since the second ethernet adapter connects to my wireless router, and that also leaves me with the same error message...

Now that I mention it, I was able to connect through the internet as well as my own network before, but this PC's main HD crashed, leaving me reïnstalling windows... But the FTP folders were on a different Physical HD (Not another partition on the same drive). After that it didn't work anymore... So I guess it might be a Windows issue? I DID install XP home with SP2 built in this time, instead of adding SP2 After initial instalation... Could that be it? I appreciate the help guys (and/or girls) so thanks ahead!

Greetz, DJ Arthur

EDIT:
Looks like has the same problem I do... Too bad I flunked for french during my high-school period... :oops:

EDIT again: (I simply dislike "Double Posting", but like to keep track of when I post something)
I translated the thread of my previous edit (thank you MS Word), and checked the options MonsterBill suggested there. No problem in the user department: All users have an existing homedir, as well as at least one folder with full access (read write delete rename create/rename/delete subfolder and including subfolders too). I forgot to mention that I deleted the original "anonimous" account and recreated one with a random password, in order to force anyone connecting to either Log In or disconnect...

MonsterBill
Super User

Postby MonsterBill » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:32 pm

If the log is totally empty, that's because the connection doesn't succeed. Let's say, it might actually be a Windows issue. How about checking the Windows firewall ? Is it on ? Is it configured ?
Utilisez

Consultez et .

L'informatique, ? Et ?

Le FTP est défini par .

DJ-Arthur

Postby DJ-Arthur » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:10 am

Hey!

Heh... I fixed the problem! Looks like I forgot to add the additional ports instead of only the exeption for ftpserv.exe... I also discovered something about my machine not being ping-able... Fixed that as well! Many Thanks, MonsterBill!

So for anyone reading this and having the same problems: Be sure to not only include ftpserv.exe as an exeption in the Windows XP Firewall, but to include the used ports ( in TCP and UDP protocols) as well! (Yes, also if you use the standard port 21...). In addition, be sure your machine is Ping-able from the Internet. (this allows other machines to test the response time of your machine, and is used by the built-in Windows FTP client to determine the maximum speed and error percentage).

Again, Many thanks!!

MonsterBill
Super User

Postby MonsterBill » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:51 am

You're welcome. :-)

I'll just correct something in your tip : the UDP protocol is not needed in the configuration of the firewall. FTP doesn't use it. ;-)

Enjoy.
Utilisez

Consultez et .

L'informatique, ? Et ?

Le FTP est défini par .

DJ-Arthur

Re: Connection with the server has been Reset...

Postby DJ-Arthur » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 am

Well, It's been some time since I visited this forum... Anyways, I'd like to add some pointers I figured out during a new Install of a Home-Server:

The Built-in Windows FTP-Client connects ONLY using Passive mode, meaning you HAVE to define an IP and port range in the settings for this. Also, you have to make sure all ports in the range you defined are forwarded in any routers and/or firewalls.

The IP should be your external IP, meaning the one you have on the Internet. There are several ways of determining your external IP, but I prefer http://www.showmyip.com/ (Virus/Trojan Free). Just go there with your browser, and your external IP will be in the upper-left corner of your screen. Your routing device will take care of the rest, if configured properly.

The Port range can be anything from 0 to 60000 or so, but be careful you don't use any ports used by other services. I recommend using a suitable range between 20000 and 50000, since those are ports rarely used by known services.

Note that the above settings apply to ALL clients that connect using Passive (PASV) mode. Active mode doesn't use these settings, since the client will tell the server which port to connect to.

Well, I Hope this resolves some problems people might have :D

Return to “TYPSoft FTP Server Help/Bugs”